I am headed to Edinburgh for the weekend and a friend I am travelling with was expressing her frustration with RyanAir luggage restrictions.
It got me wondering, why do so many people – and by people I mostly mean women – find packing so stressful??
I happen to be a master packer. (No, I will not apologise for sounding smug, it is truly one of the only things I can brag about.)
It is thus that I present you with JESSICA’S EXPERT WEEKEND PACKING LIST.
Scenario: you are flying out on a Friday evening and returning on Sunday evening. Short flight of about one hour. Very unreliable weather at destination (Scotland, people). This is mainly a sightseeing trip so lots of walking planned with some evening outings.
Important note: Your packing list should not include anything you wear on the airplane! Take advantage and wear heavy things like jeans, your walking sneakers & a sweater or jacket.
- One lighter pair of pants (or skirt, weather depending)
- One light/dressier sweater
- Three shirts (two short/one long sleeve) – or swap one shirt for a dress (bonus points)
- One pair of flats – only a pair you’ll want to walk in and that are also suitable for a nice dinner out
- Toiletries – all travel size – nothing big, that you can put through security in one plastic bag – this includes make-up
- One little box of jewelry – bring three completely different styles so you can have some dramatic changes available without taking up too much room
- 2 scarves – fashion statements and they hardly take up any room (bonus points)
- One pair of underwear per day, plus one extra
- Phone & charger
- One book, one magazine or your iPad. (Unless you are a speed reader, there is very little chance you will finish all three. However, this rule does not apply if your destination is a beach. )
- Travel umbrella
This should even allow you to save a little bit of room for souvenirs, should you be a particular fan of the local delicacies. Scotch, anyone? (Major bonus points.)
Second photo by the|G|™